2008년 4월 4일 금요일

[Lord of the Flies] 6) The Entry of My own

Question : Is there any book related to this novel???


Did you know that the “Lord of the Flies” is actually a parody???
While I read this book (Lord of the Flies), it reminded me of this book that I’ve read when I was in my elementary years. I read the book in translated Korean version and it was by an author called R.M. Ballantyne. The title of the book is… “The Coral Island”.

Don’t you think that you have heard of the title somewhere? Yes, it is the setting for the novel “Lord of the Flies”, William Golding used the title of this book and named the island for his story a coral island. “The Coral Island” is about 3 boys landing on deserted island going through adventures together and making a paradise in the island. The names of the three boys are, Ralph, Jack, and Peterkin. Yes, Ralph and Jack are both a characterized in a very similar way from Lord of the Flies (Ralph as a leader and Jack as a strong boy). William Golding copied the island’s name and the two characters off from “The Coral Island”. However, the results were completely different because in “The Coral Island” Ralph and Jack are close friends but in “Lord of the Flies” Ralph and Jack end up trying to kill and run from each other.

Why did William Golding do that? I can’t answer the question properly but I think that it is because the theme of “The Coral Island” contradicted a lot to William Golding’s thoughts when he was going to write “Lord of the Flies”. “The Coral Island” had its theme based on values of English society that called them ‘royal and civilized’. However, William Golding made a parody out of this novel to act out a satirical and sarcastic story against its scene and criticize it.

Thank you for reading my last post!!!
All thanks to “The Coral Island,” I had to laugh while I was reading “Lord of the Flies” (Please don’t look at me like THAT).

See you next time…

댓글 없음: